Foot Problems are Often a Sign of Other Health Issues
Your feet can be thought of like a canary in the coal mine of your overall health since many signs that show up in your feet first are indications of other health issues. Signs of circulatory system problems and peripheral nerve damage show up in your feet before they are even diagnosed as part of a systemic disease, so your podiatrist can tell a lot about you by looking at your feet.
Symptoms in your feet that indicate other health problems include the following:
1) Numbness and tingling in your feet and hands - If you have numbness or a sense of pins and needles this can be an indication of nerve damage from diabetes.
2) Swelling - Fluid retention in your feet and ankles may be a sign of kidney damage.
3) Cramping - When you aren’t getting enough of certain vital minerals in your body, muscle cramping can occur. Calcium, magnesium, and potassium are all required for your tendons, ligaments, nerves, and muscles to function correctly.
4) Wounds that don’t heal - Cuts on your feet that are not healing well may be an indication of diabetic nerve damage and improper immune function.
5) Rough, dry skin - This can be caused by diabetes complications or may be the sign of an allergic reaction.
6) Toe hair loss - Losing hair from your toes can be a sign of poor circulation. Lung cancer and pulmonary disorders can cause a rounding of your toes.
If you notice any of these problems in your feet or ankles, contact your foot care professional.
At Monroe Foot & Ankle Care, Dr. Elliott M. Perel treats a variety of conditions including diabetic foot problems, bunions, nail fungus, arthritis, and heel pain. Equipped with advanced technologies including shockwave therapy, MLS Laser treatment, and computerized gait analysis, Monroe Foot & Ankle Care provides specialized, high-quality service for patients across central New Jersey. For any problems you may be experiencing with your feet and ankles, contact our Monroe/Jamesburg office at (732) 521-2155 for an appointment.